Cal State Fullerton Jazz Musicians
Receive Scholarships from ‘Friends’
December 19, 2003 :: No. 122
Cal State Fullerton Jazz Ensemble I musicians shared $7,000
in scholarships presented in December by the Friends of Jazz,
a Fullerton-based organization that supports jazz education
and student musicians. Recipients are (back row, from left)
trumpet players Carlos Villa, Brian Mantz and Tim Gill; Nick
Schaadt, bass; Dan Crain, tenor sax; Ryan Pryor, piano; Sean
Macauley, drums; front row, Melissa Halse, lead alto sax;
and Bryon Panopio, trumpet.
Nine talented members of Cal State Fullerton’s
Jazz Ensemble I group have been awarded scholarships ranging from
$600 to $1,000 each by the Friends of Jazz Inc., a nonprofit Fullerton-based
group that supports jazz education and young musicians.
The CSUF jazz ensembles directed by Chuck Tumlinson,
associate professor of music, represent some of the finest college
musicians on the West Coast, and are involved in more than 30 performances
and clinics throughout each year. The bands perform on campus and
at venues such as Steamer’s Café in Fullerton and the
Brea Jazz Festival. Last year they performed in the “Battle
of the College Bands” in Hollywood, in connection with a festival
tribute to Woody Herman.
The scholarship awards were presented by Bill Klinghoffer,
president of the Friends of Jazz, at a recent campus concert featuring
renowned trombonist Andy Martin as guest artist.
Scholarship recipients and their cities of residence
• Brian Mantz, Fullerton (trumpet)
• Carlos Villa, Fullerton (trumpet)
• Nick Schaadt, Fullerton (bass)
• Bryon Panopio Fullerton (trumpet)
• Tim Gill, Mission Viejo (trumpet)
• Dan Crain, Anaheim (jazz tenor sax)
• Melissa Halse, Long Beach (lead alto
• Ryan Pryor, Upland (piano)
• Sean Macauley, La Verne (drums)
In addition to the $1,000 Friends of Jazz scholarship,
Pryor was awarded a $500 scholarship from the Alex and Mary Batinich
Trust, which was presented by Nick Batinich, chief financial officer
of the Friends of Jazz.
• Chuck Tumlinson, Jazz Ensemble I director, at 657-278-5523
• Dave Reid, Public Affairs, at 657-278-4855 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
« back to Awards & Honors